Monday 11 May 2009

INTERVIEW

An interview with Mr. Scott E. King, the Director Office of International Students and Scholars at the University of Iowa, USA
* Do you have PHD? In which field? I do not have a PhD; my highest degree is a Masters in American Studies. However, more and more people in my position do have PhD’s now, and I think that people moving into this field in the future will likely have that degree. If I were much earlier in my career (I have worked in this field for 30 years), I would probably work on a PhD to insure possibilities for the future.
* What did you think of Iraq, especially Kurdistan with some of its developments? Do you think Iraq will have a brilliant day in the future if US troops withdraw from Iraq? Does Iraq need change?
When you ask about my impressions about Iraq, etc., let me share the following which are thoughts I wrote in Amman, Jordan after I had left Baghdad and Sulymania: Personal Observations I saw consistent commitment from the Iraqi government, as well as educational officials, to ensure that this scholarship program is open, fair, and that it meets the needs of the country. It doesn’t appear that the program has any desire to downgrade existing educational opportunities, as Iraqi university officials were present at all meetings. There is a realization that Iraq universities cannot meet today’s needs, that there is also a need for professionals educated in English speaking countries, and that the scholarship program can be used as a method of engaging US universities in creating linkages to existing schools. There is also a significant commitment to making this work from US officials in Iraq. We had many of the embassy personnel at all the programs, and they also worked hard to make sure that we, as US citizens and representatives of US universities, were comfortable and accommodated—even though our presence was at the invitation of the Iraqi government and not the US government. This is seen as a big cultural and diplomatic initiative. Naturally I thought about security and safety on this trip. But from the moment we arrived in Baghdad to the time we boarded the plane in Sulaymania, the Iraqi government—and when appropriate the US Embassy—took care of us. I could tell that they tried the best to keep us safe while allowing us reasonable freedom of movement. We all felt treated like dignitaries, and thus realized that our visibility required that our safety be guarded. I never felt in danger; indeed, as someone said, even in the most negative situations, it was like being in the bad area of a major American city. This initiative has such an opportunity to stabilize Iraq that it is worth a bit of discomfort on my part. We were called “pioneers” by many and I honestly feel that way. I think I can honestly speak for all my colleagues who attended this meeting when I say that we are excited about the Iraqi Educational Initiative and feel that we are perhaps changing the world and making it a bit safer. For 30 years I have said that international education is a route towards peace; I’ve never believed this so much as I have in the past week. An event I will remember forever is seeing the inauguration of President Barak Obama at the US ambassador’s residence on January 20. There was a sense of seeing history while we were making history. I couldn’t help but think back to the Iowa caucuses in January 2008 and think how unbelievable it was that I was seeing the result of my participation in that democratic process while in Baghdad, Iraq.
* What do you think about AUI_S? Is AUI_S a place to make future Iraqi leaders? Do you think the AUI_S students will have the ability to do something for Iraq? This should give you a good overview related to some of the questions you asked. Some of your questions are difficult to respond to, * What do you think about AUI_S? Is AUI_S a place to make future Iraqi leaders? Do you think the AUI_S students will have the ability to do something for Iraq? Is the university an international university, in your opinion? As I didn’t have a lot of time at AUI-S, and thus don’t have the background to comment on quality of students and such. AUI-S is a young university, and thus hasn’t had a lot of time to make a firm place for itself in education, but I saw a lot of potential. It seems to me like AUI-S is focusing on doing things well, and sometimes, particularly from a student standpoint, it will seem like it is moving slow and not getting ahead. But a young institution has to be very cognizant of its reputation, and it does seem to me like AUI-S is making thoughtful choices, but also choices that are stretching it to become even better.
* Can you give me a brief comparison between your students and AUI_S students? One comment about students I can make is that it appears to me that AUI-S students are much more aware of the world around them and of global affairs than most US students. This is a challenge we face at our institutions, as the US culture is not one that naturally encourages a global outlook, so we have to work hard to change a mindset in many US students.
* Is there any exchange programs between your university and AUI-S now? Do you think the students can be a part of exchanging programs? How would it work? While there are not any exchanges or linkages with AUI-S, or indeed any Iraqi institution, at this point, I think these will come as Iraq stabilizes and people are comfortable travelling to the country.
* Will you visit our university again? At a moment’s notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment